Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wedding, MVP, and Sharks...

...the title pretty much sums up what's been going on with me!


Graham and I just got back from Caroline (one of my Clemson KKG sorority sisters) and Trenton's wedding in Charleston. It was absolutely beautiful and it was so good to see some college buds.This is me, Kathleen, Hannah, Meg, Lindsey, and Leslie. Aren't the bridesmaid's dresses precious??

MVP? Not "most valuable player" in my case. All my life I have been experiencing a weird extra heart beat. It would maybe happen once a week for a couple seconds. Unfortunately, last week it hit an all time high...escalating into heart palpitations and sharp chest pain for 2 straight days. On the third day, I started to get very concerned and frankly very scared. I got squeezed in to my family Dr. where they hooked me up to an EKG machine and recorded the palpitations. They gave me a 24 holter monitor to wear at home and record my heart activity (not fun, it was extremely uncomfortable). My family Dr. referred me to a cardiologist where he believes he will diagnose me with MVP...mitral valve prolapse. Basically, your mitral valve controls blood flow on the left side of your heart. The valve opens and closes with each heartbeat. It works like a one-way gate, letting blood flow from your upper heart chamber to your lower chamber.
When you have mitral valve prolapse, the valve closes after blood flows through. But the valve bulges backward a little. It looks like a tiny parachute or balloon as it bulges. The good thing is, its not dangerous and totally normal for those who have had it as an infant. Depending on the severity, the cardiologist will prescribe medicine to make this weird feeling of my heart pounding through my chest go away! Good news...I'm not dying but boy was I terrified!

On a lighter note, for all you shark week fans out there...I hope you are not watching it more than my husband...you may start speaking in shark terms:

We were pulling into our favorite, local Mexican restaurant which seemed a little crowded to Graham because he decided that "people are flocking here like great whites to Seal Island." Dork. Thank goodness Shark Week 2008 wraps up tonight on the Discovery Channel..I'm beginning to see these guys in my sleep...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your MVP. My husband has it as well. Other than the occasional episode like you described, he rarely complains. He does need an antibiotic before he visits the dentist. Not sure why, but you may want to ask you doctor about that.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Good grief...what a scare. You take care of yourself. Those first graders are going to need you!!

Susan said...

Gosh, you have had lots going on! Sorry to hear about all your heart issues. I have MVP but it is very mild and I don't need any medication. I found out when I was about 17 through a sports physical. I hope everything works out for you. Let me know what the doctors says!

Emily said...

Dont worry Liz. You're not the only one with a dork. Travis had a countdown to shark week before he had a countdown to football season. That says a lot.

Wanderings of a Wannabe said...

cute pic! you are so sweet :)

Post a Comment