Monday, August 18, 2008

First Day Jitters

It was only a half day and I am EXHAUSTED! I had forgotten how much energy it takes to keep up with 12- 6 year olds! I have a PRECIOUS class. You would think on the first day that they would be quiet, nervous, some-what reserved...NOPE! My class was chit chatty all day but seemed very comfortable with me and eachother. I think I was more nervous than they were!It all started with a bloody loose tooth which eventually popped out (you would have thought the little girl lost a limb) and the first words out of one little boys mouth was "I don't have any scissors." You may be thinking big whoop...he said he needed some scissors. Well, he said it in the cutest first grade speech impetement way when you can't say your "r"s and it just comes out awwwws. TOO CUTE!


The best part was seeing my kids from last year. I was always told that you will never forget your first class during your first year teaching and I can completely relate after today. I got hug after hug and even a "clamped around the neck, holding on forever, never letting go" kind of hug....priceless! I have the most rewarding job in the world!

3 comments:

Red and White Preppy said...

Bless you for teaching that age...although I'm sure you'd feel the same way about 9th graders :)

Strong possibility that I'll be at Clemson for the NCSU-Clemson football game in a few weeks! It'll be my first trip to Death valley, so while it might not be the best for my Wolfpack (we're already down our best RB and receiver), I'm SO excited!

Anonymous said...

That is my favorite book to read on the first day of school! I am glad that your day went well. The first day is always exhausting. I cannot believe you only have 12 students! That's awesome! Last year, my second grade class had 24 in it. Yowza!

Susan said...

I'm so glad that you had a good first day. If you think it felt good to get hugs from your students from last year wait till you've been teaching a few years and they come back to visit and they are all grown up. It's an amazing feeling. I still keep in touch with some of my former students. My first class ever will be seniors in high school!! Wow, I feel old!

Post a Comment